Sunday 6 September 2015

It's official; I got a job in Japan!

I received an email at 2am on Friday night (Saturday morning) from the Bohme English Academy. I got the job I applied for with them! It's a job teaching in a school, mostly primary school children with some adult classes as well.
The school is located in the Aichi prefecture of Japan, around 2-3 hours from Tokyo by train. I start on the 6th of October, which is only a month away! (I will fly there a few days before though) The contract for employment is for a year.

I'm so excited and relieved. I applied for around 10 places since I received my TEFL certificate, and only got to the interview stage with 2 companies. I am also nervous though, I have just a month to plan my goodbyes and get my affairs in order!


Things I have done:
I renewed my passport, as I had a few months left on it but obviously need it to last until October 2016. They add on any extra months at the end of the passport's life though!

Things I need to do:

  • Check if I need any vaccines with doctor. I got some vaccines on my trip to Malaysia last year.
  • Let my bank know
  • Let the relevant goverment sectors know, such as HMRC and DWP
  • Tell my phone company, I am currently on a rolling 1 month contract though so will probably just need to cancel it.
I won't need to give any notice for work as I work with an agency. So one less thing to worry about! 

7 comments:

  1. Hey, you probably already know but you will need a visa if you are in Japan for more than 90 days. I got mine at the Japanese Consulate in Edinburgh, just made an appointment, showed up, then they posted back my passport a few days later.

    If you plan to leave and re-enter Japan before your visa is up, you will need a re-entry permit. You get this when you are in Japan, at the local prefecture office (I think). Not difficult and costs about £30 IIRC.

    For vaccinations, I didn't need any but a vaccination against Japanese Encephalitis is optional.

    Good luck! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for the advice!
    My employer is sorting my visa; they said I will need to come in with a tourist visa as it's such short notice, but they will apply for a working visa for me when I get there. The trouble is I need to book a flight out of Japan again! Either I buy a return ticket for my UK journey, or buy a ticket to Taiwan or something and cancel it I think...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes I was the same. I booked a return flight with Emirates, coming back on the latest date possible (which still wasn't late enough). Nearer that date, I knew better what date I would need to come back, so I phoned up Emirates and paid £70 to change the date on my ticket. So you just need to go with an airline that will allow a date change (if you book through a travel agent they will know).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Millie
    You must be about to leave for Japan by now, if you are not already there. I wish you all the best of luck, although I'm sure you won't need it, since the Japanese are so good at looking after visitors for other countries. Be prepared to take on new role as celebrity! I am so envious! Enjoy yourself!
    Kate :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops! I meant from other countries, not for.

    ReplyDelete